Ying Yang Rice (serves 4)
* 1 1/2 cup cooked white rice (heat in microwave)
* 2 eggs
* 10 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
* 2 chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces ( I like it in strips)
* 1/3 cup green peas
* 1 medium tomato, sliced
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/3 cup ketchup
* vegetable oil, for stir frying
* sugar, to taste
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- Combine chicken with sugar, salt, corn starch, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Heat wok with 1 tablespoon oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Add rice and break it apart with spatula after heated in the microwave.
- When it has heated through, add the egg yolk and mix in well until egg is cooked.
- Place rice on serving deep-dish (platter), preferably one with high sides to contain the rice and toppings when done.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of oil in wok. Stir fry peas for about 30 seconds, remove and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in wok. Add shrimp and stir fry about 5 minutes, stirring constantly so the shrimp does not shrivel up.
- Pour in egg whites and sauce solution of water and corn starch, mix well.
- When it is cooked through, adjust taste with salt, then spoon over one side of the rice to create a Yin Yang symbol with a slight curve in the center of the rice. Rinse out wok and return to heat with 1 teaspoon oil sprinkled with a little salt.
- Add onions and cook for about 1 minute, add sliced chicken and stir well.
- When the chicken is about half cooked, add sliced tomatoes and continue stirring until chicken is done.
- Add ketchup and mix thoroughly. Adjust flavor with a little sugar as desired to balance out the tartness of the tomatoes.
- When done, spoon over the other half of the rice, filling in the curve of the other half.
And yes we carry all items in stock!
642- 13th Street North
Come in and find out!